Tools: Virtual Plant Tour

Regulatory Information | Best Practices | Case Studies

Regulatory Information

Stop 10: Injection Well

Highlighted Topic:  Hazardous Waste Treatment (Injection)

Tour Stop 10If you generate hazardous waste, there are two major options for treating it: send it off-site for treatment or treat it on-site (as is pictured with this injection well.)

If you send your hazardous waste off-site for treatment, you will still need to follow the requirements of being a hazardous waste generator, including getting an EPA ID, properly handling your waste (through labeling and segregation), and meeting storage time limits. You will need to identify a suitable Treatment, Storage, and Disposal (TSD) facility that can manage your waste and arrange for the waste – accompanied by its waste manifest – to be sent off-site.

In the chemical industry, one common form of on-site waste treatment (for both hazardous and non-hazardous waste) is underground injection. Underground injection is regulated via the Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program under the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA). The UIC program is often managed by state agencies and is designed to insure wastes pumped into the ground do not contaminate the groundwater.  You will need a permit for any underground injection, which will specify conditions for what you can inject and how.  (This permit will take the place of a RCRA TSD permit if you are injecting hazardous waste.)

Other Regulatory Issues:

As with other activities, you will need to evaluate and manage your injection equipment for fugitive emissions, as covered by the Clean Air Act.